SWANTON SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SWANTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL LIBRARY
October 26, 2017
6:00pm Call Meeting to Order
6:05pm Comments and Correspondence from the Public (Listen)
6:10pm Act 46 Preparation for Informational Meeting
7:15pm Future Board Meeting Dates
- FNWSU Board Meeting – November 15, 6:30 @ Franklin School Library
- Swanton Elem. Board Work Session – November 8th, 6:00 PM
- 12/20, 1/31, 3/14, 4/18 (longer goal planning), 6/6 (prior to SU bd. mtg. at 5)
- Act 46 Meeting Informational Meeting November 2 at 7pm at Swanton Central School
- Act 46 Alternative Governance Structure Vote November 7th 7 am to 7 pm
7:16pm Anticipated Executive Session –If necessary
(Answer the Executive Session Compliance Question…Where premature public knowledge would clearly place the Board or other party at a substantial disadvantage)
FY2018 School Board Goals:
Goal 1 – Increase efficient use of resources to maximize learning potential for all students
- Continue to right-size the school staff based on enrollment changes and resource needs
- Ensure staff and administrator performance is evaluated
- Monitor school culture
- Receive periodic Board updates on Marzano, Muhammad, Instructional Frame, and RTI implementation
Goal 2 – Ensure challenging learning opportunities are in place for all students
- Focus on enrichment programs
- Promote additional science, technology, engineering, arts, and math experiences
- Continue implementation of the NCSS Behavior Program
- Receive semi-annual reports on student bus and classroom behavior
- Research development of an SU autism and related programs
- Local assessment and SBAC – Board emphasis on SBAC and NECAP assessments
- Ensure student technology skills are current
- Increase frequency of student performance reporting at board meetings
Goal 3 – Maintain a focus on buildings and grounds
- Create a playground renewal plan by December
- Continue to follow the asbestos abatement plan
- Revisit 5 year facilities plan and prioritizing
- Connect with Safe Routes to School and RISE-VT
Goal 4 – Strengthen school and community communication
- Film Channel 15 video vignettes throughout the year
- Integrate with other FNW schools
- Utilize social media
- Reach out to senior citizens (High Swans) and religious leaders
- Host a Community Dinner in February
- Connect with MVU Rotary Interact volunteers
- Develop a “Get out the Vote” campaign in March
- Engage community about pros and cons of a governance merger
*Public Comments at Board Meetings
The FNWSU and District School Boards are working to improve the response to public comments made at Board meetings.
The Board reserves the right to ask visitors the following questions before they are invited to address complaints to the Board:
Have you directed your complaint through our “Complaint” Policy i.e.:
- Attempt to address the complaint first with teacher/staff member, and,
- If not satisfied, discuss complaint with the principal, and,
- Still not resolved, then meet with the superintendent,
- Only then, will the Board hear your concern at a Board meeting.
When speaking with the Board, if the complaint becomes personal, disrespectful, or threatening, then the Board chair may rule the speaker “Out of Order” or,
If the complaint addresses specific personnel or is evaluative then the Board chair may invite the complainant into executive session, and,
The Board chair may limit speaking time for each individual and ask that similar points of view from multiple speakers not be presented.
Anyone making a comment can expect a response from the Board that will fall into one of the following categories:
- Thank the person with no further action planned.
- Respond immediately by the Board chair or administration.
- Direct the administration to contact and respond to the person.
- Seek clarification from the administration at a specified meeting.
- Add the topic to a future Board agenda.
- Refer the matter to an executive session.
- Hold a public hearing on the matter.
- Send a note of appreciation.